About Me

My photo
52 year old from Nova Scotia. I have two grown daughters and two beautiful grandsons named Aidan and Damien. Have one gorgeous grand daughter named Hallie. Have hubby named Randy and am owned by one beautiful fur baby. So as you see I'm a wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, and friend. I'm a reader & especially like mystery novels and true crime stories. I often visit the local flea markets, thrift shops, and antique shops and I like a nice cup of coffee by the fire on chilly or rainy days. I enjoy working outdoors. Also enjoy meeting new people.

Friday, June 13, 2008

Well for the last two days I have not been able to breathe right and was non stop coughing. As most of you know I quit smoking a few months ago. Still bringing up the junk off my lungs which is a good thing. At least it is coming up.
Well anyway, last night hubby took me to the hospital because I was gasping for breath. Had xrays done and spoke to lung specialist and this is what she said. From my own stupidness and smoking for 31 years I have done damage to the air sacks in my lungs, that are called the alveoli. These air sacks are where the oxygen that you breathe in is transferred into your blood. Alveoli don't grow back, so when you destroy them, you have permanently destroyed part of your lungs.
So the verdict is puffer( every 4 hours right now) when needed after I start to feel better. Am also on a bitartrate called hycodan which I take ever four hours. Lastly ibuprofen every 4 hours. i was warned if I go back to smoking I will be lucky to see 10 years.
I wish someone had been standing behind me to boot me in the rear when I picked up that first cigarette. What a stupid thing I have done to myself.
I am not going to ask anyone to quit but please if you start coughing all the time please, please look into it before the damage is done.


2 comments:

~Julie~ said...

Hi Lynn. You know what? You DID quit, my friend. You did it!! Maybe it didn't happen last year. Maybe it didn't happen in the last 20 years..but it happened when YOU were ready. I am so sorry that there is permanent damage to your lungs though. I pray for you anyway, but I will add this to my prayers, now! You're here *now*, Lynn. That is what matters. You quit 2 months ago (If I'm counting right)...and 2 months is a long time. I know because I've been right there with ya (in the same canoe) the whole way. I am one of the lucky ones, because I don't think I have damage (to that extent) on my lungs...but I'm sure I've done *some* irreversible damage...just not as severe.

In any case, I am VERY proud of you for quitting, and you should be proud of yourself, too!! Don't accentuate the negative---affirm the positive. You can't change what has been done, but you can UNDO what the future *would have* held for you had you not quit.

Here come the tears. lol

Anyway...I'm proud of you.


~J

Mistylynn said...

Thanks Julie. You have been a very good friend through all of this and I really appreciate the support.

Hugs.